Ted Leonsis recently spoke at a local technology conference. His keynote address was titled, “Breakfast of Champions.” He told his story through a sports metaphor. He used some of the most well known and respected names in sports today. Names like Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Wayne Gretsky, and Joe Namath.
Ted shared his plan for success. He covered each of the points with a story and a powerful quote from one of these sports giants. He told his story in a unique and very personal way.
For those of you not familiar with Ted, he is the Vice Chairman of AOL, a majority owner of the Washington Capitals NHL hockey team, minority shareholder in the NBA’s Washington Wizards, and owner of the Washington Mystics, a WNBA team.
He intertwined his message of how he is helping to shape the new AOL with a foundation of compelling and inspirational quotes. Quotes that all have a business relevance. To use a sports metaphor, his presentation was a homerun.
Ted Leonsis’ 12-Point Plan for Success
Here’s Ted Leonsis’ Plan for Success:
- Plan it – write it down – break it down – strategize
- Work at it – be committed
- Measure and improve
- Listen and learn
- Trust those around you
- Don’t be afraid of failure
- Respect everyone
- Don’t get too high with the highs and low with the lows
- The journey is the reward – enjoy
- Seek balance
- Be part of something bigger than yourself
- Love and passion
3 of Ted’s Quotes
- “The more I practice, the luckier I get.”
- “I don’t love the game. I am in love with the game.”
- “Failure and loss are my best friends and personal motivators.”
My take-aways. Love what you do. Trust in yourself. Tell (more) stories.
Photography Source Updated: Ted Leonsis from Wikimedia; Overall design © Copyright, The Chief Storyteller®, LLC. All Rights Reserved.